A Break From the Traditional

Since I spent all weekend at a tournament, I figure I’d shed some light on my research.


I had planned this weekend for months. Although my arrangements had changed multiple times, I was going to the International Quidditch Association’s, Western Cup IV, in Roseville CA. After the University of Idaho team they said they couldn’t go the to the tournament, I had to find a new team to play keeper for. The Stanford team offered me a slot, but it was quickly shot down by the IQA because I’m not on their official roster. The new plan was to go the the tournament, and just spectate and get drunk the whole time. But I had a problem with the plan, I didnt have a hotel room to stay in, and I couldn’t spend sixty dollars a night to go to a tournament. Once again, a new plan had to be made.


I talked to the captain of the Utah team, and he said they still desperately needed snitches for the tournament, and never doing it once before in my life, I decided to give it a shot! I signed up for as many games as they needed me, (which made the staff love me even more than before) and I had to train. I had two weeks to prepare for the tournament, which I ended up snitching six games the first day (which is a pretty decent amount.)


Now snitches work much differently than in Harry Potter. A person dressed in full gold has a tennis ball inside of a sock attached to their shorts. Its the seekers goal to grab the snitch without touching the snitch runner, but the runner can be as physical as he wants to the seekers. The result is multiple miles ran per game, and extreme contact once the seekers finally catch up to you.



I would have snitched many more games the second day of the tournament, and the championship game, had I not started coughing up blood on Saturday night after the games. I went to the emergency room the next morning after the EMT told me to go, and they found nothing wrong in my chest. They supposed I tore some blood vessels in my throat, and let me go, but I couldn’t continue to play. So I returned to the field, and watched the rest of the amazing tournament. It was a huge letdown I couldn’t play anymore, but nobody would let me once they found out what happened.


Skipping a few chapters, and now that I’m back in Boise, I have a doctors appointment set up this week. Although it isn’t certain what is wrong with me still, I’m still coughing up more and more blood. Only time will tell.


To be continued…


Post Script: Nine hour drive to Roseville on Friday. Wake up at 5:00 both days to help set up. Run for 11 hours on Saturday, 4 hours in the hotel room on Sunday, Nine hour drive back on Monday. End result? Tired as hell, frustrated I don’t know what’s wrong with me, disappointed in myself for getting mysteriously injured, and pretty nervous about details on my injury.

All in all, it was probably one of the best weekends of my life. Absolute euphoria, and hopefully this off topic blog post is pardoned with all the effort I used this weekend.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s